About the Fulbright

Full Grant: A year of study or research in a foreign country.
ETA Grant: A year of teaching English in a foreign country.
In the years following WWII, Senator J. William Fulbright proposed the sale of surplus war goods in order to foster the “promotion of international good will through the exchange of students in the fields of education, culture and science.” The Fulbright Program was established in 1946 and since has had almost 300,000 participants in a variety of exchange programs. Fulbright offers opportunities for students, independent researchers, and faculty. The two major U.S. student programs include the research/study program and the English Teaching Assistantships (ETA). Research/study applicants propose an independent project and secure an affiliation with an institution in the host country, while ETA applicants prepare to teach English in their host country. Students from any field of study (including creative and performing arts) are encouraged to apply.

Eligible Applicants

• are graduating seniors, master’s or doctoral students, or young professionals
• anticipate fostering cultural exchange through engagement in the host country

Student Year


Faculty Nomination Required?


Citizenship Requirement

U.S. Citizen or legal resident

The Scholarship Process

Getting Started:

Attend an informational workshop, held in the spring semester. Talk to relevant faculty and CFSA advisors about your application.

Next Steps:

Applications are due to CFSA in mid-September, so you should begin your application during the previous spring and summer.

Advising Contact

Judy O'Rourke, Email: jlorourk@syr.edu More Information: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/