The Udall Foundation is a national organization that awards scholarships to college sophomores and juniors for leadership, public service, and commitment to issues related to Native American nations or to the environment.

The Udall Foundation was established by the U.S. Congress in 1992 as an independent executive branch agency to honor Morris K. Udall’s lasting impact on this nation’s environment, public lands, and natural resources, and his support of the rights and self-governance of American Indians and Alaska Natives. The 1998 Environmental Policy and Conflict Resolution Act created the U.S. Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution as a program of the Udall Foundation to assist parties in resolving environmental, public lands, and natural resources conflicts nationwide that involve federal agencies or interests. In 2009, Congress enacted legislation to honor Stewart L. Udall, Morris’s brother, and add his name to the Udall Foundation.

Candidates may apply for Udall Undergraduate Scholarships in one of three categories: tribal policy, native health care and the environment. The tribal policy and native health care scholarships are open only to Native Americans and Alaska Natives; while the environment scholarship is open to all undergraduate students with a track record of meaningful contributions to conservation and environmental issues. All of the undergraduate scholarships are meant for students who demonstrate active commitment to their field and who want to work towards making a difference in their community. All recipients of the Udall Scholarships attend a five days orientation in Tucson, Arizona to extend their professional network, meet other scholars and alumni, and learn new skills.

Katie Duggan, junior in College of Engineering & Computer Science, is applying this year for an Udall Scholarship in the environment. Katie also applied for the scholarship last year and was named an Honorable Mention for the Udall Scholarship.

“Last year when I applied for the Udall Scholarship, I was chosen as an Honorable Mention. Even being just an Honorable Mention, I have already benefitted from this foundation by being connected with the Udall Alumni. I decided to apply again because I know I could really benefit from the conference in Arizona. I knew my application could only get stronger over the year, and I am applying again with more experience under my belt. My advice for new applicants is to not be afraid of getting feedback from people. We can all use help with our writing. Ten people helped me with my application throughout the whole process, and it truly improved my chances. Don’t be afraid to show your true self in your application. Don’t write what you think they want to hear; they get bored reading the same application 100+ times.”

The application for this year’s Udall Scholarships closes on March 15th. Students must be endorsed by Syracuse University in order to apply for the Udall Scholarship Programs. Please contact CFSA for further assistance or questions.

Udall Foundation Logo

Tagged with →