Fulbright Hint #5 – 2015

Hint #5

 I will no longer be using my email list to send Fulbright Hints after July 1st. I will only sent Fulbright Hints to people who have officially started their Fulbright application and indicated that they are applying through Syracuse University.

If you haven’t signed onto the Fulbright application page and started your application – you need to do that now! Go to http://us.fulbrightonline.org/fulbright-us-student-program for the application and refer to hint #1 for details. Remember …

• Matriculated students must apply for a Fulbright through their home institution – make your affiliation Syracuse University.
• The SU Deadline for completing applications is September 15th.
• You need to have all parts of the application: demographics, essays, letters of recommendation, as well as language evaluations and affiliation letters (if required) completed by that date.

 Question 16. Plans upon return to the U.S.
When answering this question, consider what Fulbright wants from their scholars. This does not mean that you should change your plans to suit Fulbright, but you should express what you want to do with the Fulbright mission in mind.

Sample of answers that are accurate and factual, but don’t consider Fulbright’s mission:

After I return to the U.S I plan to begin my graduate studies in Public Administration and apply for Foreign Service.

When I return, I will teach for 5 years and then pursue a career in school leadership.

To convey the information above and still keep the Fulbright ideals and mission in mind:

My plan after returning to the U.S. is to begin graduate studies and apply for the Foreign Service. I have a passion for public diplomacy and wish to have a career in the Foreign Service, as I believe that people-to-people diplomacy is a beneficial way of promoting cultural exchange.

When I return, I will continue teaching in a school that celebrates cultural exchange and diversity. I will pursue a career in school leadership and education policy, fighting for the kinds of policies that support equal education and give every student the chance to reach his or her full potential. This experience as an ETA, seeing another country’s development and practices, will inform my work and decisions throughout all of these positions.