Fulbright Hint #11 – 2014

It’s getting down to the wire now! Remember the campus Fulbright Deadline is:
12 NOON on MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 15th

#1
There is a Fulbright Blog called “How to get a Fulbright” that I recently discovered – you may find it interesting and helpful. It’s at:

#2
As I look over the list of applicants on Embark, I still see that many of you have NOT filled in the basic data about the country or program that you are applying to. DO THIS NOW!!! It is very important to complete this basic data – especially since there are different instructions for ETA vs. Full Fulbright recommenders. Your recommenders will not be happy if they complete the wrong form because you left a field blank. So avoid these embarrassing situations and fill in the country and program info on your application.
Also note that your letters of Recommendation are due by Monday 9/15 along with your applications. Make sure all your recommenders know about this deadline.

#3
Since May, I’ve been telling you that you won’t ‘submit’ your application by the campus deadline, you’ll just need to send me a PDF copy. But Fulbright has changed the way Embark is available to campus advisors, and there are new instructions!

To meet the SU Campus deadline this year – all you need to do is hit the SUBMIT button on the Fulbright (Embark) application website by 12 noon on Monday September 15.

Once you hit that Submit button, if for any reason, your application is not complete, send me an email that includes details about what is missing – i.e.:
• If a letter of affiliation is not available – tell me what you have done to secure one, with which organization, and any other pertinent info.
• If a transcript is missing – tell me which one and when you expect to receive it (then send me a copy separately as soon as possible)
• If a reference letter missing, include the following info in your email to me: the full name of the recommender, his/her email and phone #, and when s/he has told you to expect the recommendation.

Here’s what will happen After September 15th
1. Your full application package will be sent to your SU interview committee
2. Within 5-7 business days you will be contacted by your interview committee who will let you know when and where you must present yourself for your interview.
3. Within 2-3 days, I will un-submit your application – i.e. it will be ‘returned’ to you. You will then be able to continue to edit your application on-line – based on input from your interviews, etc. – up until the Fulbright deadline.
4. You will need to do a final – a REAL – SUBMIT by the Fulbright Deadline (more on that in #5).

#4
If you do not submit an application on the Embark application website by Monday, September 15th, I will assume that you have withdrawn from the application process.

Those who do submit on 9/15 will follow the process in #3 above – and that process will ultimately lead to the final application submission (directly to the Fulbright Committee – IIE) in October. The final Fulbright deadline is Tuesday October 14th. HOWEVER, YOU will be required to submit your application (officially and finally) by SUNDAY night, October 12th.
The reason for this earlier deadline is that every year the Fulbright website either slows down horribly or crashes on the day of the deadline (ok – so it only actually and totally crashed 1 year out of 6). But the bottom line is you can’t wait, because I have to submit your application after you do – and I will not be responsible for anything ‘bad’ that happens if you cannot submit your application due to “technical problems.” Fulbright doesn’t give any of us any leeway for technical issues!